Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Costochondritis Questionnaire

(say that 5 times fast)

I love me some Google Analytics. I created an account for myself a few weeks back, and had a blast finding out where all y’all come from and how you find this blog (shame on you person who googled “ginormous belly pics”),. It made my heart warm to know there were so many folks checking in from time to time. The overwhelming trend for new visitors was people who find this blog after googling some combination of “costochondritis, pregnancy, holy-hell-this-pain-in-my-ribcage-is-going-to-make-me-lose-my-mind”. Since this is ICLW week (see the linky graphic thingy to the right for details) I thought it would be a good time to ask folks a couple of questions. Go ahead and leave your answers in the comments. One of these days when I’m feeling motivated, I might compile all the comments from here and other posts I’ve done about costochondritis into a mega-post on the subject.

For those new to the costo, costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects your ribs to your sternum (breastbone). It causes acute pain at that junction that can make your life suck. I had a particularly awful case of it during my pregnancy that was fairly well treated with a combination of acupuncture and physical therapy. Some folks ain’t so lucky and have to resort to ultrasound guided cortisone injections, opiates and/or bedrest.

The Questions for Folks Who’ve Been Pregnant:

1-During your pregnancy, did you ever have pain in your ribcage? (If no, you’re done. If yes, please continue on.)

2-On a scale of 1-10 (1 being barely noticeable, 10 being hysterical emergency room craziness) rate the worst the pain ever felt.

3-How often did you feel this pain?

4-Did you seek treatment?

5-If yes to #4, from whom (OB, regular doctor, naturopath, etc)?

6-What was their diagnosis?

7-What was your treatment plan?

8-Did it help?

9-What was the approximate reduction in pain? You can answer numerically—for example 9-2 would mean: my pain was originally a 9, after treatment I’d rate it as a 2.

10-Did the pain continue after you delivered?

Bonus-Anything else you’d like to share about your rib pain?

20 comments:

JW Moxie said...

I've never heard of that condition before, but having been pregnant four times before I can only imagine the awful pain that must have been! Thought it no doubt sucked to have had it, it's great that people searching for information about it can land on your blog to get some BTDT advice!

ICLW#6

Jen said...

Here are my answers, by the way:
1-Yes

2-8

3-Only after eating in the beginning (before I was showing), but round the clock before I got treatment

4-Yes

5-OB

6-costochondritis

7-physical therapy. I requested "permission" to go to acupuncture as well, and OB reluctantly agreed.

8-yes

9-went from an 8 to a 2

10-I occasionally get the dullest bit of pain, nothing worse than a 1 if I move just so.

Bonus-I delivered via C-section, so I never got to see if the pain would come back during delivery, but I'm really curious to see if anyone else had a similar experience and what happened during labor/delivery

Beth Kyle said...

never had rib pain...mega back pain...no rib pain though

Mrs Zeee said...

Hi from ICLW!
I didn't have pain there when I was preg, but I did learn something from visiting your blog, so thanks!

Kristin said...

That sounds absolutely horrid. Glad your case of costo was relatively easily treated.

~ICLW

Gina said...

I also love Google Analytics, and I <3 your back ground, lol (click on mine for a chuckle).

~ICLW

GeekByMarriage said...

Never had the condition. I only experienced all of my kids loving to stick their toes between my ribs from 6 months on. That hurt like hell but I can't imagine the pain of inflamed ribs!

..al said...

There are some really funny words through which people land on our blogs....I am ineligible to answer your questions.

I hope you get apt answers to your questions...

*ICLW*

Jill said...

hmmmm I wonder if this is what my sisters have been suffering from. Do you know if it's genetic?

Mr. Shelby said...

Very interesting - never heard of that either. If all goes well, I'll get to fill out these questions for Shelby in November!

Mr. Shelby (from iclw)

Mrs. Gamgee said...

I also had never heard of the condition, and as I have yet to get past the 10 week mark I don't have any answers for you...

And it's really amazing what people google, isn't it? :)

Happy ICLW!

Beautiful Mess said...

I didn't have this pain when I was pregnant. I did have some discomfort from the baby stretching and doing flips on my ribs like the gymnasts do. I'm glad you were treated during your pregnancy. Your daughter is so cute! I love the picture of her in her exersaucer.
*ICLW*

Anonymous said...

holy crap! I totally had this my last pregnancy it was HORRIBLE but my midwife just told me to get over it and there was nothing to be done. I thought I was just some sort of freak!!!

So glad I found your blog!!

Fat Chick said...

Never even heard of it.

ICLW

Rachel said...

I ran the analytics on my blog and it said people found mine by looking up "shell-fish allergies." What?

The Celiac Diva said...

http://costohope.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps someone!

Anonymous said...

My wife has some pain in the rib cage, and could any one suggest me the best way to treat it!
Questionnaire

QuicksilverQueen said...

1-During your pregnancy, did you ever have pain in your ribcage? Yes

2-On a scale of 1-10 (1 being barely noticeable, 10 being hysterical emergency room craziness) rate the worst the pain ever felt. 8

3-How often did you feel this pain? almost all the time; particularly bad when sitting upright (as opposed to reclining slightly).

4-Did you seek treatment? No...I ended up delivering first.

10-Did the pain continue after you delivered? No. I had a c-section, too, fwiw.

Bonus-Anything else you’d like to share about your rib pain? I got it at about 22wks...gradually got worse and worse until it felt like I had to put counterpressure on it when I laughed/cried/pooped.

Anonymous said...

Well, being a guy -- I'd have to say I've never been pregnant (haha). But, I have had costochondritis for over a year now... I have blogged about it here:
http://www.squidoo.com/MyCostochondritis

I also wrote a tutorial for those who want to learn more about the conditions here:
http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-costochondritis

Anonymous said...

I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.Lupus.
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.
Or Text me on +1-502-2334-479 for more expliant.