Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A sad, sad story

I rarely discuss politics with friends and family. My leftist ways are certain to rub someone the wrong way, and I'm not typically confrontational enough to want to argue our differences. But the way things are going back in my not-really-hometown of Colorado Springs is just wrong, and I don't care who hears me say it. Since my move to Ohio, I've had a hard time explaining "where I come from" to people in the context of my local government work. When I describe the way the City of Colorado Springs is self-destructing due to its funding woes, I think people tend to think I'm misoverestimating. This article landed on my desk today in the most recent issue of Governing magazine (Don't you go thinking I don't read interesting stuff!!). It describes the situation there nearly perfectly, and I hope that it does so in a way that won't incite partisan tomfoolery--and instead might lead to some meaningful and productive dialogue.

Here's hoping.

Colorado Springs' Do-It-Yourself Government

No comments: