Monday, May 19, 2008

Maternity Clothes



The last week has led to a major shift in my wardrobe. I'm no longer able to squeeze into even my biggest pants without some discomfort as the day wears on. So I did it. I bought a pair of maternity pants. And then another, and another.

At first it felt like a tiny defeat. I've spent my whole life trying to fit into tiny clothes. Concerned at the slightest gain or bulge. And now I can't even zip my jeans!

But then I got through my first full day of work in a pair of cute maternity pants (the kind with the tiny elastic band waist not the huge mama-jama panel) and I was so comfy! Like wearing my PJs to work!

I'm trying not to go off the deep end as I know I'll continue to grow and don't want a second wardrobe full of completely useless clothes in a couple of weeks. So I've kept the shopping to a minimum and have looked for deals where I can. I also won the maternity clothes lottery when a girlfriend from Temple gave me a giant bag full of her recent maternity gear. A lot of it is too big for now, but there are shorts and jeans and a couple of tops that fit nicely (and so comfortably) now.

So if you see any deals on maternity basics or know anyone cleaning out their closet, point me to 'em.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One thing I used with Ben's pregnancy and now as a nursing mama are these belly bands type of things. (I can't recall the exact name. If you want to know, e-mail me and I'll go look.) They are like a tube top but for your belly. They make it look like you have a layered shirt underneath. So, paired with the right top, you can get away with a top shirt that is slowly shrinking up the belly w/o it looking like you just need to pull your shirt down. I have a few and I love them.