Friday, February 15, 2008

Daniel

So more on Daniel leaving...

Dan is 20. I'm 29 (for 2 more months!) He and I were never close as kids because of our age difference. In fact, he was typically just a pain in the butt. I always had to babysit or clean up after him. Years after I left home, he and I finally began to talk and get closer.

Dan joined the Navy right after high school, and has had a tough time adjusting to Navy life. He's spent the past year in Gulfport, in SeaBee school and working on base. I've thought about the peril of him being overseas during this &%#@W war, but it never seemed like it would really happen. But now he's on a plane to Kuwait, having been trained to sit on top of a humvee and shoot people. And he'll be gone for six months.

I'm not one of those people to say "I'll pray for you." But I am hoping that my faith will be helpful in dealing with this. I miss him, I'm proud of him, I worry for him,and I really do hope that he'll be okay.

I love you, Dan.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow Jen. Thats tough news... Thankfully I have never had to see someone close to me go off to the war so I can't say I know how you feel, but if you need to talk to someone I have an ear and I'll listen. I'll keep your brother in my thoughts and hope he is safe over there.

Livin' On Hollywood said...

Do I still get a prize if the first comment poster doesn't appear to know about the contest? Pretty please??

This is Andrea from Ohio. You can check out my blog at theuneventfullife.blogspot.com. If you read from the bottom up, all the stuff about the basil plant will make a whole lot more sense.

More seriously, I am very sorry to hear about your brother leaving. He is in my thoughts, and I wish him a safe return.